Subscribe to news.com.au’s daily podcast From The Newsroom on iTunes.
Drunk driver clocked at 207km/hour
A young driver has allegedly been clocked travelling at 207 kilometres per hour while three times over the legal alcohol limit on a busy Melbourne highway.
The 22-year-old Carlsruhe man was allegedly caught travelling at 207km/h in a 110km/h zone on the Calder Highway about 9.20pm last night.
When police intercepted the white Holden utility, the driver allegedly returned an evidentiary breath test reading of 0.138.
The probationary licence holder had his vehicle impounded for 30 days at a cost of $1,475.00 and his licence was immediately suspended.
He is expected to be charged on summons with a number of traffic and driving offences.
Australia and Indonesia to sign free trade deal
Australia and Indonesia will next week sign a landmark free trade deal at the ASEAN summit in Singapore next week.
The two nations will ink the agreement on November 14, the second day of the summit, Fairfax Media reports.
It’s a win for the Morrison government, with both Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Indonesian leader Joko Widodo to meet in Singapore to witness the historic signing by both countries’ Trade Ministers.
The trade deal is expected to boost Australia’s beef exports and wheat and open up the Indonesian market to Australia’s healthcare and education providers.
Man dies after shark attack
A Melbourne doctor has been identified as the 33-year-old who as killed in a fatal shark attack in the Whitsundays.
Daniel Christidis, who works as a urologist at Melbourne’s Austin Health, had been on a charter boat with friends on Monday when the attack happened, according to The Australian.
Police said he had gone paddle boarding and then swimming at Cid Harbour before he was bitten about 5.30pm.
Dr Christidis and a woman were taking turns on a paddle board, with the attack happening when he got off the board.
Queensland Police patrol inspector Steve O’Connell said the friends with Dr Christidis when the attack happened were “extremely distraght”.
“Every solid effort was made to save that man’s life,” he said.
Tourists have now been warned not to swim at the popular spot where he was mauled by a shark and died from his injuries.
Mr Christidis was flown to Mackay Hospital in a critical condition with bites to his left thigh, right calf and left wrist. The wrist injury was thought to be a defensive wound.
He later died in Mackay Base Hospital after suffering massive blood loss.
— Ben Graham and Charis Chang
Pop queen deems white people ‘disgusting’
Controversial pop queen Sinead O’Connor has sparked outrage over a series of bizarre tweets in which she deemed white people “disgusting”.
The 51-year-old Irish singer, who recently changed her name to Shuhada Davitt after converting to Islam, wrote a series of tweets about her new faith.
Embedded inside was a statement which she acknowledge was “so racist I never thought my soul ever feel it”.
“I’m terribly sorry. What I’m about to say is something so racist I never thought my soul could ever feel it. But truly I never wanna spend time with white people again (if that’s what non-muslims are called). Not for one moment, for any reason. They are disgusting,” she wrote.
The singer has been slammed by Muslims and non-Muslims alike for her comments.
Mum-of-four Sinead was ordained a priest by a Catholic sect during the 1990s, but late last month she announced her conversion to Islam.
The singer, who has struggled with mental health issues, told fans: “This is to announce that I am proud to have become a Muslim.”
“This is the natural conclusion of any intelligent theologian’s journey.
“All scripture study leads to Islam. Which makes all other scriptures redundant.
“I will be given (another) new name. It will be Shuhada.”
Viewers split on ‘graphic’ Project segment
The Project has divided viewers after airing a “graphic” segment which followed a grieving mother searching for answers following her son’s death from a sex fetish procedure.
In last night’s episode of The Project, Lynda Chapman is seen confronting the man she holds accountable for Jack’s death — his BDSM ‘master’ Dylan Hafertepen, who she claims her son was in a relationship with.
But viewers were divided over the what the show chose to air — with some even claiming it was “exploitative” and more suited to a show like A Current Affair.
Read the full story here.
Mark Latham confirms return to politics
Everyone’s favourite Twitter troll Mark Latham has confirmed his return to politics.
The former Labor leader confirmed to 2GB he would return to politics, saying he’d make the announcement about joining One Nation “soon”.
“Watch this space,” Latham told host Ben Fordham. “You’re getting amazingly close. You’re a political sleuth.”
He’s expected to make a joint announcement with Pauline Hanson this morning.
PETA demands investigation into Cliffsofmoher’s death
The Melbourne Cup has again been marred by the death of a horse, this time the Irish-trained The Cliffsofmoher.
The Aidan O’Brien-trained horse suffered a fractured shoulder during yesterday’s race and had to be euthanised, Racing Victoria’s executive general manager said in a statement.
“The horse received immediate veterinary care, however it was unable to be saved due to the nature of the injury sustained,” he said.
Animal rights group PETA has called for an investigation into the death, which it described as “the most recent victim of the cruel annual spectacle”.
“Considering Australians hate cruelty to animals, commemorating a day on which horses routinely die in the Melbourne Cup is fundamentally un-Australian,” a PETA spokesman said.
Stier said the injury to The Cliffsofmoher was an unfortunate incident that happened infrequently, as Victoria had one of the best safety records in world racing.
“Our sympathies are extended to Coolmore and the Williams family, the owners of The Cliffsofmoher, jockey Ryan Moore, trainer Aidan O’Brien and his staff who cared for the horse and are greatly saddened by their loss.”
It is the fourth time in the past six years that the Cup has been shrouded by the death of horses.
Cop ‘appalled’ after call to Hanson-Young
A Sydney police officer is “appalled” by his conduct after he said he wanted to rape Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young’s daughter during a phone call made to her electorate office, a court has heard.
Sean Daniel Murphy, a senior constable with NSW Police, has pleaded guilty to making the offensive remarks during a brief call to Senator Hanson-Young’s Adelaide office in July.
Court documents released yesterday show a Greens campaign manager answered the 57-year-old’s call before the officer asked: “Can I have a picture of the senator’s daughter?” He was told no and asked why he would want such a picture, to which he replied in an aggressive manner that he wanted to sexually assault the girl, according to the tendered fact sheet.
Murphy told federal police in a recorded interview three weeks after the call he didn’t know if he’d made the offensive comment as he’d been drunk. The 57-year-old is charged with using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence.
His barrister John Davidson told the Downing Centre Local Court that his client was “appalled by his conduct” and offered to apologise in person to Senator Hanson-Young.
Mr Davidson said Murphy had been receiving psychiatric treatment in hospital for post-traumatic stress disorder after three decades of police work on the street.
Magistrate Jennifer Atkinson agreed to place Murphy on bail on the conditions he not contact any witnesses or the senator’s electorate office and that he reside either at a Campsie address or the hospital where he is being treated.
Senator Hanson-Young in a statement yesterday described the threats as “vile” and said it has been “deeply distressing” for her, her family and staff.
NSW Police on Tuesday said Murphy was currently suspended.
Murphy will be sentenced in the Downing Centre Local Court on February 1, 2019.
Bill Gates stuns crowd with poop
Are you a nervous public speaker? Here’s some loving advice: sometimes all you need is one prop that’s really solid. Well, solid if you’re consuming enough fibre, anyway.
Bill Gates has stunned a crowd in Beijing after he brandished a jar of human faeces towards them.
The billionaire philanthropist and Microsoft founder used the clear beaker of waste as part of his speech helping launch the Reinvented Toilet Expo event — a showcase for new toilet technologies.
“You might guess what’s in this beaker — and you’d be right. Human faeces,” he said. “This small amount of faeces could contain as many as 200 trillion rotavirus cells, 20 billion Shigella bacteria, and 100,000 parasitic worm eggs.”
Mr Gates used the prop to highlight bacteria and sanitation-related disease, having spent more than $200 million on researching the field over the past seven years.
“I have to say, a decade ago I never imagined that I’d know so much about poop,” he joked. “And I definitely never thought that Melinda would have to tell me to stop talking about toilets and faecal sludge at the dinner table.”
The three-day event took place in China, where President Xi Jinping has made the “toilet revolution” a key priority.
As reported by a UN report in 2012, poor sanitation kills 2.7 million people every year.
“The problem will get worse if we don’t do something about it,” said Mr Gates. “It’s no longer a question of if we can reinvent the toilet and other sanitation systems. It’s a question of how quickly this new category of off-grid solutions will scale.”
A number of financial institutions, including World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank, have announced that they would work to unlock $2.5 billion for sanitation projects in the cities of low and middle-income countries.
Mr Gates is known for using shock tactics to draw attention to his disease-battling efforts.
In 2009, he loosed mosquitoes at a TED Conference in California to make a point about the deadly sting of malaria — waiting a minute or so before assuring the audience the liberated insects were disease-free.
US midterms just hours away
America’s midterm elections are finally here, and the media is saturated with analysis of what they will mean for Donald Trump.
The short version? If the midterms go badly for him, and Mr Trump’s party loses control of the House of Representatives, he will be left in a deeply uncomfortable position, unable to pass legislation without help from his political opponents.
But what if that doesn’t happen? What if Mr Trump’s Republicans do surprisingly well, and the Democrats fall short of taking back the House?
The Daily Beast has examined that “unthinkable” scenario in some depth. It reports that failure in the midterms could plunge the Democrats into an “utter and complete psychological meltdown”.
“After all this work, all these volunteers, it would be absolutely shattering,” Democratic strategist Paul Begala told the website.
“I can’t even contemplate it, it would be so indescribable,” said former Congressman Steve Israel.
There is no contingency plan. No attempt to prepare for the potential disaster. Mr Trump’s enemies are gambling everything on winning.
Read Sam Clench’s full analysis here.
You might also like
More from World
Friends and workmates can be our worst enemies when it comes to healthy eating. According to new research conducted by …
US President Donald Trump. PHOTO: Jim WATSON / AFPThe United States and European powers voiced sharply differing views on issues …